The Wolves Den

Just my two cents about Gaming.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Changes.

Let’s talk about character death. Thus far, in RHoD, and other campaigns of the past, I have taken it easy on characters deaths. My reason for it is the process of having to make a new character. I have written about this before, in a post about the invincibility complex. So basically, (and I’ll go over this again, when we play Saturday, for those who don’t get a chance to read this) no more freebies. If you die, you die. If you can be resurrected, no problem, if you can’t, then its time to roll a new character.
The reason I’m going over this now, is because there’s times coming up, where retreat is going to be your best option. At Skull Gorge, retreat and regrouping may have been an easier solution. Now I don’t want you to run from every encounter. I want you to play your character true to form. Ask Tobias, my little Frost Dwarf Barbarian, runs into every battle, regardless of whether he could get killed or not. He has his own reasons for that, (mainly, after having died once, he no longer fears death) and I intend to keep playing him by character until something happens that changes that. (Although if wrestling with a Chain Devil doesn’t give him a new outlook, I don’t know what will.) My point is play your characters, which I think everyone does a good job of, but be aware, if you die you die.
Another topic, which I want you my players to decide on is spell points. This is a system Tobias uses, which I think would add a different flavor to spell casting, but you are the players, so the decision is up to you. Let’s break it down. With the current system, a spell caster has so many spells per spell level he is permitted to cast per day. For example: A 4th level Sorcerer can cast 6 0-level spells, 6 1st-level spells, and 3 2nd-level spells. (Now there is an option, sorcerers have that they sacrifice a higher level spell for a lower level, but I’m trying to keep it basic, anyone interested in playing a sorcerer, can look up this option in the PHB.) So after a sorcerer casts 3 2nd-level spells, that’s all he can cast, (of 2nd-level spells) until he rests. Now in the spell point system, a spell caster has spells points equal to the amount spells he can cast per day, multiplied by their spell level. HE can use these points to cast any spells of the levels he can cast. For example: A 4th level Sorcerer has 12 spell points; 6 for each 1st-level spell, he can cast, and 6 for the 2nd-level spells. (3-2nd level, 2nd level spells cost 2 points 3 x 2=6) (Also we’re putting 0-level spells aside for the moment.) If he so chooses, he can spend the 12 points to cast 6 2nd-level spells, provided he doesn’t cast any 1st-level spells. For 0-level spells, I think we’ll go with a limit, of 3/day per spell. (We may have to change this, if it appears to be powerful, or weak.) So let me know what you think. We’ll take a vote, and majority rules.
Also keep in mind the rule will go for your opponents as well, which ever way we decide to go.
Just my two cents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home